Pisto is a Spanish dish originally from the Region of Castilla La Mancha. It is made of tomatoes, onions, eggplant or courgettes, green and red peppers and olive oil. It is similar to the french Ratatouille.
(Photo and recipe credit to my mother)
- 1 and 1/2 onion
- 7 ripe tomatoes
- 2 long green peppers
- 3 zucchini
- Olive oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon of sugar
- Salt to taste
- In a pan with a bit of olive oil, fry with low heat the onion (finely chopped)
- When it is transparent, add the peeled and chopped tomatoes, and stir everything together. Cook over medium heat, until the tomato softens. Add salt and sugar
- In another frying pan with some oil, add the peppers in small pieces. Once they are a bit soft add the finely chopped zucchini. Everything must be done together and removed frequently, until it softens.
- Add the tomato and onion from the other pan are added, and add more salt if needed. Mix everything well and let it cook over a couple of minutes.
- Now it is ready to eat, but its even better served cold