This beer chicken stew might be the laziest chicken recipe of all times. And I am not exagerating.
Important, make sure you have some bread, because you are going to soak it in the sauce, I guarantee it!
It can work with any part of the chicken, however thighs or drumstick are more tender in a stew. I personally think that chicken breast are totally overrated.
Beer Chicken Stew
- 1 kg chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 1 onion big or 2 small
- 2 carrots
- 330 ml beer
- 3 tbsp olive oil Approx.
- Add a bit of olive oil and brown the chicken. Take it out to a plate
- Slice the onion and the carrots
- Fry in a pot with the olive oil until the onions are transparent
- Add the browned chicken and the can of beer
- Cover and cook at medium heat for 15-20 min
What to cook as side dish?
In this case I made a mash with potatoes and celeriac (recipe coming). Any good mashed potatoes recipe will do.
Other options are fries or rice. In my family we used to eat it with cubed fried potatoes. They result better when soaked into the sauce.
Tips and tricks
Which beer should I use? any beer will work. But take into account that the flavor will come up in the stew. I normally go for a lager, which has a milder flavor
Can I use chicken breast? You can, but it will probably come up drier. Try to reduce cooking time (note: I have not tried it)
I could not find any history of this dish, beer chicken stew is one of my family’s classic recipes.